Tuesday, August 10, 2010

 If I was a superstitious person, tonight would never have happened. We have been having almost weekly dinners with two of our best friends as long as I can think back on the four of us hanging out. Our schedules and lives changed after we had the boys and no longer were we able to go out whenever- we went from seeing them almost daily down to just the weekly dinner. So I really cherish and enjoy this time we spend with them each week.


  Mike and Kylee are those friends that we would drop anything on a dime to be there for them and vice versa. But lately I feel we have been falling short on our end. The week we found out we were pregnant, Mike proposed to Kylee. They carefully planned their wedding, keeping us in mind, making sure that we would be able to be there and not interfere with the baby. But when we got the news of how high risk this pregnancy was, and plans were already set in stone for the wedding, it didn't work out that way. It broke my heart to not be able to make it to such an important day in their life when they were so very much there for ours.


  They were a huge part of the boys birth and are now a huge part of their life. The night that I went into labor we had them over for a taco night dinner. We said goodnight to them just to call them about 3 hours later to tell them we were on our way to the hospital. Mike stayed to help Charlie, that first night the boys where born, till almost 2 in the morning because I still was not able to get out of bed. Kylee came and hung out with me when Charlie went back to work and I can't even count the number of times those two have watched the boys for us when we were in a bind. And the boys LOVE them. Mike and Kylee were two of the first names they learned how to say and they ask for them all the time. When I told them we were going to their house tonight, they literally jumped for joy.

Taco dinner- a risky choice, if I was a superstitious person. Just 6 days before my scheduled c-section, we took part in yet another dinner with the meal that set the whole thing in motion last time. I made sure not to eat anything too spicy though, this time. And tacos sure did hit the spot. It was a beautiful breezy night to eat out doors, followed by some good conversation and playing with the boys- Mike teaching them how to strum the guitar. And we got to watch their wedding video finally!


These two love birds are heading out next week for their month long honeymoon overseas- bless their hippy souls, they are backpacking Europe. I can't wait to live vicariously through their tales of this trip.

We will only get them for about a week when they return before the newlyweds head up to a more northern state to start their new life. Our almost weekly dinners are going to get pushed even farther apart to maybe every couple of months. Its not like I've never had to leave or watch friends leave before. I have a best friend in each state I've lived in. But it doesn't make it any easier to watch more go. We will miss our weekly dinners, but look forward to the many trips to visit them ahead. And these last days that we do have them close by, I am trying to hold onto as much Mike and Ky time as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...