Saturday, January 29, 2011

Can't Sleep

Its eating at me- 9 out of 10 babies diagnosed with Downs are aborted. 9 out of 10.

And I realized every Down syndrome blog I have come across, the parents did not find out that their baby had Downs till after they were born. I have yet to read of someone choosing to continue their pregnancy once finding out prenatal. No wonder doctors expected us to abort. Almost everyone does. Literally, almost every one who gets that karotyping done prenatal chooses to get rid of their developing baby. And I know countless women who have admitted that they would have chosen to abort if they knew prenatal their baby had Downs- and now that they actually have their baby, it haunts them. Once that baby is in their arms they would never think about getting rid of it, but when its hiding in their stomachs, where they can't see it, they would cut of its life support at the news of being different. Outta sight, outta mind.

Approximately 49,500 babies are aborted each year in the US just because they are diagnosed with Downs. 49,500. Remember only 5,500 are actually born.

I don't get it.

Our self-centered world sickens me more each day. I want to go back to my bubble where I thought everyone was accepting. And I so badly want to change this statistic.

I pray, someday, every single baby is born healthy. But not because we eliminate the ones that aren't- are we really reverting back to Sparta? Or have we never even changed.

1 comment:

  1. Great Blog!

    Now following from
    http://blogbedandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...