Friday, April 15, 2011

The Royal Scoop

This past week, our house has been a mess. Pink eye, viral infections, ear infections, fevers, lethargic babies and tired parents. Needless to say, I haven't really taken the kids out of the house this week. But today, with everyone being out of the contagious stage and after a very good, long afternoon nap, I was antsy to get them out. (I found a new burst of energy after a good night out away from the kids last night. Concert and drinks with my husband and friends. Man, do we have to get away more) They were not quite playground ready, so I took them to my next favorite place- an ice cream shop. Some good heavy, cold cream would feel good on my fever-broken babies tummies. And mom wanted some of that amazing homemade peach ice cream!






We were quite the hit at this busy little shop, filled with snow birds visiting from the north. Old people just eat my kids up. And I enjoy the happiness my blessings bring to people who are missing their children and grandchildren. I smile as I can hear them talking to each other by us, " Do you think they are twins? Oh, they have to be twins. Oh and look, she got her little girl" which at some point they stop talking to each other and start talking to me and the kids, asking the same questions and pouring over Fiona and her casted legs. So many have had kids or grand kids who had clubbed feet and  tonight one lady put her hand on me and sent me her understanding sympathy through her eyes in a way that a mother can do.

I also love playing interpreter as they try to talk to the boys. Because my boys love to talk. About anything and everything that comes to their mind. But, their baby lisps can be hard to understand ( and old ears don't really help either).  Our towns average age is 65, and I am always getting bombarded with elderly grandmothers wanting to be around my littles. But I rarely have the time to stop and really give them that child-fill that they are looking for. Tonight, they got to indulge in baby giggles and toddler talk. And as we were walking away,  the talk about their own grand babies started. I bet some kids tonight probably got a phone call from their grandparents.

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy and fun! It's always nice to get out of the house after being cooped up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the visit!!! We hope you enjoyed the ice cream as much as we enjoy making it! Glad your family is better and you can get up and about.

    btw the photos are great!

    We'll keep an eye out for you at the counter!

    David Zimmermann
    Cheif Executive Scooper
    Royal Scoop Homemade Ice Cream

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...