Thursday, May 12, 2011

The bigger picture

If I had to pick only one word to define my Dad, it would be giving. Thousands of other words make up who my Dad is, but this one stands out particularly. Its something I have always admired of him, both because its been nice to be on the receiving side, and because this genuine charactistc about him is so honorable. Whether it be giving of his resources to friends and family and greater causes, to giving his time to youth groups and coaching, to giving a peice of him self. And its never done with hesitation or anticipation of anything in return.



 The surgeries seem to have been a huge success. My Dad is recovering while his kidney is working better then anticipated, now functioning as Bills kidney. It amazing and honorable that Dad would go through this sacrifice for his friend, but to my dad, if he is able to help, he is going to help. Humans are selfish beings. To give up anything that makes your life slightly more complicated does not come naturally. When I first learned that my Dad was going to do this, I didn't want him to. I was selfish and didn't want anything to happen to my Dad. But, Bill is a dad too. And then I started seeing it from my Dads perspective. How could he watch his friend die, his buddy's wife and kids suffer losing the most important man in their life when he has the ability to help him. So it will cause him a little pain. So there are small risks. But without this kidney, Bill will not survive.

I am so proud of my Daddy. Encouraged by his faith and hope in God. They say that you view how God is through your own father and I know that without him, I would not be as strong of a person as I am now. He has taught me to "trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding" Proverbs 3:5 through both his words and his actions. I strive to be as caring and giving as a person as my father is. Dad, we love you and pray for a fast recovery for both you and Bill.

1 comment:

  1. That is so amazing! Wow! What a blessing you have for an earthly father!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...