Monday, May 23, 2011

Faith, Hope, and Love

Do you want the good news or the bad news first? Most people would say the bad news- get it done and over with and let the good news make it all seem sweeter.


Fiona had her 9 month well visit today. 9 months is always a crazy mile marker, because 9 months of pregnancy was a life time but these 9 months were a blink of the eye. Every week Fiona has some type of therapy. OT, Speech, PT or ITDS. And each week we go over a check list of where she is developmentally. That check list is nice and full of happy little check marks, and we concentrate on those victories a lot. 

Well, pediatrician world is a little more harsh then therapy world. As I checked off one "Not Doing Yet" box after another, my sweet little girl fell further and further behind from the norm. But I surprised my self, because the last two questions were Do you have any concerns about your child? and Are you having any problems with your child?, and my answer to both was NO.


I am not concerned with anything Fiona isn't doing yet. Because I know she will. And I am not having any problems with my daughter, she is amazing and motivated and setting her own standard of normal. This is what I wish I knew when I first got her diagnosis. I wish I could have tell-a-ported to this exact time and saw how content I was with this pace of life. You know, I posted about using the "R"word a little bit ago. It comes from the Latin word, ritard, a musical term meaning to slow down. A beautiful slow down of tempo. That's what life with Fiona is like, a beautiful slow down. When people see how tiny she is and guess that she is only 3 months old (shes 9 months), or when she needs a little extra help learning something new, I am enjoying this slower pace of growing up. The tortoise wins the race. I know at some point, the gap will grow bigger, and my baby possibly may never be, say, a bio engineer or the first woman president, but I have no doubt that my daughter will be a valued member of our society, the light of any room she walks into, and I couldn't ask for more.



Reece's Rainbow is helping special need orphan children find families that will have as much faith in them as we do for our Fiona. And this mom is helping one little girl come closer to finding her family.


Meet Albina. An orphan in Eastern Europe who needs a family to show her how amazing she is. Because as of right now, her country tells her she is less then dirt. (Seriously, look at that face!!) An anonymous donor has agreed to match dollar for dollar up to $5,000 to go towards Albina's adoption fund. The adoption funds are huge in helping families financially bring their kids home. Read this blog. I wish I could do more  for that sweet face then a measly donation, but we have to start somewhere.


1 comment:

  1. you said it all perfectly...
    Brooke may be delayed, but do I worry about it, do I have any concerns? nah. she'll do it..
    and I never noticed Fiona's eyes...oh my goodness, they are stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...