Friday, July 29, 2011

A lesson in growing up

Its so easy to make them happy right now. A piece of candy, a glass of lemonade, a dollar here, a dollar there. Its not like they are asking for i-Phones and X-Boxes. But one day they will. So, I figured I better start teaching them the value of a dollar young. Like I said, its so easy to just give them what their heart desires right now. But I truly believe parenting isn't about making your kids happy. Its about molding little humans.

Crafty me made chore charts that were such a big hit, we spent over a half hour beaming over them, "What day is this mom? And this?... This is my bed, and my toys, and my clothes and how I brush my teeth" Over and over this conversation went for well near an hour. Stickers are like a thousand bucks to kids. For a week and a half, stickers were the perfect reward for completing their four chores a day.




But a couple days ago, my lazy-productive day, every store we went to, there was begging for the typical stuff. A lolly pop. A dollar toy. I held my ground. And then it hit me. Time to teach. When we got to Target, of course we had to go look at the Thomas the Trains. But when the begging started, I had a plan. "Sure, you can get this $10 train. Every week you fill your chore chart with stickers, I will give you a dollar. Once you have 10 dollars, you can buy the train with your own money. "

They were ecstatic, and I was beaming with good-parenting pride. However, I quickly realized 10 weeks is not time appropriate for 3 year olds. They came home wanting to clean everything to earn their money right away, and I knew if I made them wait 10 weeks, the lesson would be lost in misunderstanding. Since, I have switched from a dollar a week to 50 cents day. Charlie threw in the idea that when buying day comes, to offer them a more expensive toy and see if they can learn the lesson to save to work for something bigger. I'm sure the first time, they are going to want the instant gratification of whatever they can afford right then. But over time, I am hoping they will learn to use their money wisely. All so one day, they are not swamped in debt and ruining whatever is left of our economy. 

...

Thankful Thursdays hasn't really been falling on Thursdays lately, at least on here. Being grateful and honest are the two most important attributes in our household, and so saying thank you and what we are thankful for is a daily routine in our home. 

Just as every week, there is so much bad stuff going on, and so much to be thankful for.

Thankful that Fiona's ear tube surgery went smoothly, and better then anticipated (  I swear, this girl is a champ in surgery) Not only was everything perfect, but they were able to put in larger tubes then they had originally thought they would be able to. This means, she probably wont have to have another surgery in between now and getting her permanent tubes. Thankful for one less surgery to worry about in her future.

Pre-surgery


Two Hours Post-Surgery


Thankful that my mom got her butt to the hospital. Her blood thinners started to work too well, and she was bleeding internally. In between Fiona's recovery, I went up stairs and visited with my mom. She is doing okay, they are still running tests, doing blood transfusions and trying to get the right level of meds to keep her blood from clotting but not making it too thin. Keep her in your prayers, its just a stressful situation all around.But I am so thankful she got herself to the hospital in time. It was a little weird, being so comfortable, at home, in the hospital. That two of my family members were there. That when a nurse came by for an x-ray with my mom, I knew what I needed to do and what was being done like it was an every day thing for me. Not something I ever wished for, but thankful that when expectant health problems arise, I at least can take comfort in that I know my way around the hospital.

Thankful that there is a crazy three week tournament going on at my husbands work and somehow he worked  less then normal the past three weeks. He has been getting a good fill of fishing and golfing. And speaking of which, he brought home some black tip shark meat that he caught. Never thought I would say this (because I never thought I would ever try it) but it was really really good. Thanks Tommy for the great recipe.



Thankful that the boys are starting preschool next week. For the two morning's of alone time with the princess, and the opportunity to take some speech therapy classes for her. Thankful that the boys are so independent and are the type of kids who aren't afraid to go off and explore the world. Also, a little sad that they are so quick to leave me standing in the door way. 




Thankful for this opportunity to stay home with the kids.

Thankful that my husband has a good job.

Thankful that we have a pool we can escape to in this summer heat right in our neighborhood.

Thankful that the colds every one had the last two days are already going away.

Thankful for my new running shoes. Now I just have to put them to use.

Thankful for a date night last night with the better half, and the gift card we still had from a Christmas  present that allowed us to afford to go out to dinner last night.

Thankful for that glass of red wine I enjoyed last night. 
What are you thankful for today?

6 comments:

  1. Hello! Newest follower from the Friday blog hop! Would love for you to stop by and follow back, whenever you get a chance. Have a great week! (:

    Amber
    http://beautifullybellafaith.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post. I love that last photo. I am so glad I found your blog and just love it!

    I am thankful for my health, my precious children that I longed to have for so many years. I am thankful that God has a plan for us even though right now we can't see what that plan is (My husband didn't get the 5th job he interviewed for this summer). I am thankful that he still has a job even though he's in a bad situation & really wants a different one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear the ear tubes went in well! That's great! And VERY cool shark picture!! How neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mom is in my thoughts and prayers.

    I'm so glad that Fiona's surgery went well. We are going Monday to discuss my youngest getting tubes and I'm a little nervous because she has a vsd (small hole in her heart.) This will be her first surgery.

    I love that chore chart. I might have to do that with my oldest who is 4. I've been trying to teach her that "money doesn't grow on trees" and not letting her get every single thing she wants while we're out because it would just be easier.

    I'm thankful for my family, that I get to stay home with my 2 girls (soon to be 3; we're expecting a third in November.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I’m following your blog. Please stop by and say hi when you get a chance. Hope you are having a Sweet Weekend.

    A Mommy’s Blog Design Studio
    Join us every Friday for our Blog Hop!

    Review and Giveaway Blog Directory
    If you feature Reviews and Giveaways come add your blog here!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...