Monday, January 2, 2012

Heart-Aversary

I never wanted to believe how serious Fiona's heart condition was. And it worked. I floated through the pregnancy and the first five months with my gray, lethargic baby and steady confidence that she would be fine, instead of cowering in the corner with fear and anxiety. It didn't fully hit me how serious everything was till about 6 months ago, when a little girl with Fiona's heart condition didn't make it through the surgery. This was in another country, she died of complications she had a few days after the surgery,and that's when my mind fully wrapped around the fear. I prayed for that mom, and I thanked God for every day I have been blessed with Fiona. I thanked Him for the expert surgeons and cardiologists we have just two hours from our door step. I thanked Him that she was born in 2010 and not in 1954, before they successfully could repair her heart condition. I thanked Him for making me deathly ill the day before the surgery so that my physical fatigue over powered my anxious mind and I slept for 3 of the 4 hours of her surgery. I thanked Him for a sterile hospital, a private room, educated nurses, heart medication, and a strong baby that now has rosy red cheeks from the healthy blood flowing smoothly through her veins.

I know another mom, You are the smile to my Face, who is coming up on her baby's heart surgery. We met here in bloggy world, but have a crazy real life connection, she knows someone extremely special in my life. That story is for another day. Keep her and her baby Harper in your prayers this week as they deja-vu our last year's first week of January. In the United States, we are blessed to have a 99.9% sucess rate with Complete AV Canal defect repairs. But it is incredibly stressful to watch your precious baby go through such an intense surgery.

This Saturday, Jan 7, one year from when Fiona went under the knife, we will cheers our glasses with our toes in the sand to my angel's perfect heart. And send some of that love up to Harper and her family as they will be celebrating their angel's newly perfect heart. From a hole to whole....



















8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful blessing. I'm glad that her surgery was so successful and that she much healthier now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww. And look at her now : ) Such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers to your beautiful little Fiona! May she be happy and healthy for many many years to come. My heart goes out to all parents with an ailing child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Heart-aversary Fiona! Kennedy is coming up on 6 months this week, and it's all so hard to believe. These little girls sure are tough little miracles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pics that show off the scars...
    I'm almost sad for Brooke's to fade...it's her badge of courage...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy heart day to Fiona! It breaks my heart looking at her surgery pictures...But what a little fighter she was!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so thankful for your little miracle. What a beautiful baby she is.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...