Tuesday, February 14, 2012

My way

I haven't received a Valentines Day "gift" from my husband since our very first Valentines Day together, 5 years ago. It was a red Gucci bag that I loved. I told him that year not to get me anything, I am not that kind of girl. But suckered in by the pressure that is what guys are supposed to do, he went above and beyond. After another whole year together, he knew me well enough that I was not going to dump him for not getting me anything. But every Valentines Day, he reminds me countless times that he would get me something but I told him not to, just to cover his tracks in case I am playing some kind of game.

There is only one thing I want for Valentines Day, and that is to spend time with him. No need for anything special, anything expensive, anything candle lite or shiny... just time. Don't believe me that this is what I really want? Now you know how my husband feels. But its all that I ask for. I don't ever want to look forward to any of our couple holidays- Valentines Day, Sweetest Day, our wedding anniversary- because I am anticipating a gift or a meal. I want to look forward to it because they are whole days devoted to celebrating the love that we have.

I love him.


So today we spent time together. I didn't schedule anything, he skipped his work out. We ran errands. We went on a bike ride with the kids. We made lunch together- broccoli and cheese soup. And for the 3rd year in a row- the 3rd year in a row he had to work Valentines Day evening- I ordered take out, got a sitter, and had a peaceful dinner in his office, just the two of us.

Whats funny? Is how many of his guy friends we ran into today that gave him a hard time about not doing anything more for me. I squeeze his hand and just keep reassuring him, I am not that kind of girl. He did so much more for me then a new necklace and a steak dinner would have done... he invested time. Thanks babe.

...

I realized that my kids, my boys, are not the crafty- artsy type. Yet. A few too many "great ideas" that ended up with me yelling and doing it all my self, lead me to this conclusion. 2012, I have stopped pressuring them to be me. Valentines Day was my first real test. No craft. No fun decorations. I did it their way. I went to someone else's party. I went for the store bought cards verses the homemade. It was painful, but I have so much hope because there is still Fiona. Some one has to have inherited my crafty gene. Until then, I'll enjoy the awesome parties thrown by my friends, like the one we went to yesterday, and I'll keep pinning ideas on Pinterest.




Baby Ellis, we are so happy you are here -healthy, adorable and a good baby to boot!




This girl dances to the beat of her own drum and I love her :)



What?! There's cookies?!



....

I am not sure what makes me smile more, how happy Fiona is when she is eating something sweet... or how pissed off she gets when its all gone. That's wrong of me. Isn't it? The tears just come to quick, the whole body shaking with panic that she wants more, I can't help but laugh as I try to distract her to forget about the food.




....

With as much as I talk about weather- what I love, what I miss- being able to go outside 365 days a year and play is a luxury I never want to take for granted. Seeing your kids in natural light, the sun kissing their rosy cheeks and sunstreaked hair, always takes the edge off any stress. I have Florida kids- shoeless, sun tanned, kids. And for that, I am grateful.











If we have not left the house, the boys start asking when we are going to do something. They crave to be old enough to go out side by themselves. I cringe to think of the day they are. As they overflow in my arms, I know it will be here sooner then I am prepared for. Little sister is not far behind, standing more and more with support, those little legs getting stronger each day.



Happy Valentines Day to you and yours. I hope that you were able to spend it with the ones you love as well.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely. The picture of you and your husband is beautiful. I can't really imagine that kind of warm t-shirt all year weather. Or having skin that tans. I guess I should probably stay up in the Pac NW rain!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...